Wednesday, February 02, 2005

Driving (for real)

I got over my fear of driving and rented a car to go to Rotorua (more in a separate post)

Turns out the key to driving a right-hand drive car is simple: get an automatic.
I got a Nissan Pulsar (tiny 4-door compact car). Thankfully the signals/wipers were on the same side as my Integra, so that really wasn't a problem.
So really, driving is a non-issue, aside for these few things:
  1. You always invariably approach the wrong side of the car the first time
  2. You always grab the non-existing seat belt on your left
  3. I kept trying to rest my left hand on the "window"
  4. You keep drifting to the lane on your left. Good thing they have sound strips that alert you when you do that
Other than that, it's all cake. I ended up doing about 600km in one day (arguably, i didn't take the shortest road) and it was fun.
Roads in New Zealand are fairly slow, the "highways" are just 2 lane roads (one way each way) but they are fairly empty (at least at night).
Oh, and they don't believe in stop signs - there are roundabouts everywhere. Since I didn't know the exact rules of "right-of-way" i always had the right-of-way.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home