Tuesday, December 26, 2006

Qutb Minar

My second day in Delhi was a whirlwind sightseeing tour. After seeing Humayun Tomb (think of it as a practice run for the Taj Mahal) and the B'hai Temple I went to see Qutb Minar which is the highest minaret in the world. And since I am easily impressed by tall structures, I had a great day!

Needless to say, it was quite spectacular. You can no longer go up to the top of it, but it's still very majestic.
I managed to catch it around sunset, and it was really pretty. Looks like i'm running out of superlatives to describe it - but really, i think it was my favorite site around Delhi.

The entire time I was walking around the complex I was wishing that I had my rock climbing shoes with me. There were tons of abandoned structures, with beautiful crumbling holds and nicely protruding bricks. Naturally, it'd be beyond disrespectful, but since nobody is actually watching the monuments, it was really tempting. Thankfully, I was wearing sandals, so the temptation didn't get me very far.

Labels:

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Qutub Minar is only 5 storey high and measures 72.5 metres in height.

It was built in 1193 by Qutb-ud-din Aibak, the first Muslim ruler of Delhi.

That said, it is an awesome piece of construction!
The authorities banned going to the top floor becuz of a stampede many years ago which resulted in many deaths!

9:40 AM, March 20, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home