Monday, December 25, 2006

Arrival in Delhi

Lucky for me, my freshman roommate A. from college lives in Delhi, and was gracious enough to let me stay at his house. So my arrival to Delhi was fairly seamless - I didn't have to fight the taxi-wallahs for a cab ride and didn't have to worry about getting scammed the moment i got off the plane.
It's always nice when you can stay with someone you know in a foreign country. I felt like a VIP - A's driver waited for me with a sign outside, and transported me directly to my friend's apartment.

Now, I had been to Nepal before, so I was a little prepared for Delhi. Stepping off the plane and smelling the fresh pollution in the air, I knew I was back to South Asia. Tasty exhaust and burning garbage smell! I, however, was not at all prepared for the roads. Driving home felt like being in a video game - the car weaves in and out, nobody really follows the traffic laws, there are no lanes, and everybody jockeys for position to be the first one to cross the intersection. Now, I'm used to my friends being scared when they are in a car with me, but this time I got to taste my own medicine, so to speak. It was still fun though, especially once i found the seat belts in the back and put all my faith into the driver. Oh, and did I mention the constant honking? I felt like I was back in New York!

Labels:

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Arrival at Delhi can be intimidating. You can easily get fleeced by the Taxi driver. At the Delhi Airport - they provide a PRE- PAID service - it is always advisable to take that and get peace of mind.

1:10 PM, April 18, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

We are going to Delhi Too - so thought why not read about other's travel experiences and Google brought me here.

Nice Blog!

1:39 PM, September 05, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home